Art Works — the first Canadian visual arts textbook in over 20 years — focuses on the issues, ideas, and themes that inform the art world today. Students will uncover trends, patterns, and approaches in art; understand connections, relationships, and causes and effects in art; and learn to recognize the factors that maintain, or change, the world of art.
Art Works is organized in a handbook-like format. Each topic is presented in discrete spreads of 10-14 pages to allow for easy reference and manageable, in-class reading. Topics are complemented by colourful, well-reproduced images of both professional and student artwork. Special emphasis is given to artwork by Canadian and contemporary artists.
- Provocative: The illustrations and artists featured — historical and contemporary, Canadian and international, professional and student — have been selected to clarify concepts, engage students, and encourage them to talk about related issues.
- Analysis Skill Building: Students are guided to develop their ability to assess and evaluate art from a variety of perspectives. These perspectives include reference to other disciplines like psychology, cultural anthropology, and the humanities.
- Your Project: Each topic has a suggested project for students, followed by a series of prompts to assist them in exploring the various components of the creative process. That's 26 different project ideas for your class!
Unit 1 Understanding Art
- Topic 1 Art and Visual Culture
- Topic 2 Looking at Art
- Topic 3 Elements and Principles
- Topic 4 Visual Arts Disciplines
- Topic 5 Art, Culture, and Values
Unit 2 Creating and Presenting
- Topic 6 Finding Ideas
- Topic 7 Components of the Creative Process
- Topic 8 Documenting the Creative Process
- Topic 9 The Finishing Touches
- Topic 10 How to Talk About Your Art
- Topic 11 Safety in the Studio
Unit 3 Making Meaning
- Topic 12 Applying the Elements and Principles
- Topic 13 Visual Conventions
- Topic 14 Kinds of Meaning
- Topic 15 Media and Meaning
- Topic 16 Language of Symbols
- Topic 17 Words and Pictures
- Topic 18 Points of Viewing
- Topic 19 Personal Expression
Unit 4 Art and Society
- Topic 20 Functions of Art
- Topic 21 The Art of Stories
- Topic 22 Portraying Identity
- Topic 23 Environmental Art
- Topic 24 When Science Meets Art
- Topic 25 Art, Law, and Ethics
- Topic 26 Art Connects!
Student Text Sample
Click here to view a pre-publication sample of Topic 15 from the student text.
Teacher's Resource Sample
Revised 2010 Ontario Arts Curriculum
The Art Works Teacher's Resource is an indispensable companion to the student book. This collection of classroom-ready materials is designed to save you time and includes: line masters in both paper and CD-ROM format, assessment and evaluation tools and strategies, answers to questions, and a digital image gallery of all the works found in the student book.
Contact us for more information on the Teacher's Resource.
ISBN: 978-1-55239-408-3 Net Price: $199.95
Sales of Teacher’s Resources are restricted to educational institutions and professional teachers.
News & Promos
"Art Works Teacher's Resource is an intensely thorough support and guide for any teacher striving to deliver Grade 9 and 10 visual-arts curriculum with vitality, substance, and relevance. ... All art teachers, from newcomers to veterans, will benefit from the rich detail, far-reaching connections and the comprehensive treatment with which the authors address the intricacies of education through and of the visual arts."
To read the entire review, click here.
To view the magazine, click here.
News & Promos